Sunday 10 January 2010

Michael Faraday: The Brutal, Big, Box and the Bang


I always wondered what that big metal box in the middle of the roundabout at Elephant & Castle, was all about. Turns out it's a Michael Faraday Memorial. Who? Indeed; I had no idea either. But check those links I've conveniently embedded in the selected words. Like a really shit easter egg hunt.

Apparently, it's a Brutalist design, I do like that word, and I can appreciate some of the idealisms Brutalism had, but I do wonder if the architects ever thought about the people who would have to live and work in these buildings. Looking at the Heygate Estate ,the brutalist architectural style seems to have caught on in the post World War II depression but it's not exactly a welcoming sight on a bleak winter night after a day at the office.



In fact, the Heygate estate reminds me of pictures I've seen of Prypiat. Chernobyl: The Reunion.

No comments:

Post a Comment